Thursday, July 08th, 2010
By Olympian Jeff Galloway
The cooler Fall temperatures reward us for training during the Summer heat. It’s a fact that at the same effort level, you can run about a 45-60 seconds per mile faster at 60F than you could at 75F. Here are my suggestions for goals that tend to motivate the runners in my Galloway programs.
1. An endurance goal. Longer long runs tend to bestow a the greatest sense of accomplishment of any training component. Even if you want to run faster in a given race, a longer long run will help you to your goal. Be sure to run the long runs at least 2 min/mi slower than your current race pace (3 min/mi slower for 5K/10K race pace). Gradually increase the length of the long run, every other week. For faster recovery, use the Human Touch massage chair. That’s what I do.
2. Set up a training program. You’ll find a series of training progams for just about any race distance in my books: TESTING YOURSELF, 5K/10K, HALF MARATHON, GALLOWAY TRAINING PROGRAMS (marathon, half, 10 mile), MARATHON.
3. Schedule some “fun races”. Long runs should only be done every other weekend. This allows for excursions to interesting events. We have a recommended list on the website.
4. Look into training groups. The Galloway groups (www.JeffGalloway.com click on “training programs”) can give you guidance on pacing based upon your current fitness level, with a supportive pace group.
5. For a speed goal, look at my books for appropriate speed workouts. The speed of the repetitions should be about 30 sec/mi faster than goal pace. Walk between the repetitions. As you increase the number of repetitions (14 x 1 mile for top performance in the marathon) you have the best chance of acheivement. Again, a session in the Human Touch massage chair can speed recovery after a workout, and can warm the muscles up before a workout.
Friday, July 02nd, 2010
Human Touch® wants to thank members of America’s armed forces everywhere for their dedication and service to our country by rewarding one well-deserving soldier with a Human Touch® AcuTouch™ HT-7450 Zero Gravity massage chair!
We know that a soldier’s work is extremely physically and psychologically demanding, and so all of us here at Human Touch® want to show our gratitude with the gift of relaxation and wellness in a luxurious Human Touch® massage chair.
Members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard and Air Force are all invited to participate, as well as close family members and friends who want to share their brave soldier’s inspirational story on their behalf.
View the official contest video, here.
To enter to win, we are looking for inspirational and unique stories about life in the military from service men and women (or those close to them) who have selflessly dedicated themselves to protect the freedoms and rights of all Americans. In your entry, also be sure to explain how and why you think a Human Touch® massage chair will be able to help you (or your nominated soldier) cope with the stresses and demands of life in the military. Please limit your entries to 300 words or less. You may submit your entry directly to the Comment box below.
Other contest guidelines:
- Tell us your name and rank as well as the branch of military in which you serve.
- Please incorporate relevant keywords, such as: massage, stress relief, freedom, U.S.A., army, navy, etc. (tailored according to your involvement in the military), Human Touch massage chairs, and AcuTouch™ HT-7450 Zero Gravity massage chair.
- Include links to videos or photos that can help tell your story (not mandatory but welcomed).
- All contest participants must also be a fan of the Human Touch® Wellness Center on Facebook.
The deadline for entries has been extended until Sun. Aug. 15 and the winner will be announced on Mon. Aug. 16. Don’t miss your chance to enter!
Your courageous service to our country is greatly appreciated, and we look forward to hearing from you!
Thursday, July 01st, 2010
By Tim Clark
I hope this entry finds all of my fans doing well.
I am home in Arizona this week getting some rest for a nice three week stretch of golf starting with the John Deere Classic, the British Open and finally the Canadian Open. All three golf courses fit my eye, so I am excited about getting back to the grind.
Thus far, my play this year has been very solid. My PGA Title win at the PLAYERS Championship and consistent golf throughout the year has ranked me in the top 5 in the Fed-ex Cup rankings. My continued work on my fitness, flexibility and strength is starting to pay dividends as I feel much better at this point in the year in comparison to previous years. In addition, I am taking better care of my body at home, and my Human Touch® massage chair has been an important part of that. Regular massage therapy has helped me stay relaxed and loose on and off the golf course.
Again, thanks for the support. I look forward to having some good results to report in my next blog.